How To Change Your Name After Marriage in New York
Though getting married will change your name on the marriage certificate, your legal name is still the same. In order to legally change your name in the state of New York, youll need to do the following:
2: Go to a Clerk of Court office in person
Things to consider when changing your surname:
Learn more about Name Change Options
Learn more about Domestic Relations Law
- Various surname options are listed on the back of the application.
- You must state your choice of surname on the application. If you elect to make a surname change on your application, the surname change takes legal effect at the conclusion of the Marriage Ceremony.
- The name change option does not apply to your first name or middle name.
- If you wish to change your surname through this office after your Marriage Ceremony, you must remarry.
- Although you may correct mistakes in your Certificate of Marriage Registration, a surname choice is not considered a mistake and cannot be changed through our Amendment process.
To learn more, download the new Marriage License Packet to assist you with the State of New York marriage license process, as well as offer you helpful information on popular marriage topics.